Uplifting Family with Abbey Nocera
Teacher, Mom and Director of Programming, Enlighten Foundation
With many churches and Sunday schools closed, it’s important than ever to remind our children that even during uncertain times, God is still here and always with us. Grab the kids and join us as we reinforce this message through our Finding God Scavenger Hunt!
Clue 1: Sand Clue
We may not have a beach in the backyard, but where would you look to find something that can run through your fingers and toes?
● Verse: Psalm 139: 17-18
How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
● God thinks about us all the time! He thinks about our safety and protection. He thinks about our warmth when he gives us
a house to live. He thinks about our health when he provides food to fill our bellies. Let’s say a prayer and thank God for
thinking about us.
Clue 2: Sky Clue
Where do you look if you want to see the sun and the clouds? The moon and the stars?
● Verse: Psalm 19:1 “The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”
● What are the skies doing right now? Even as we are watching them?
● What are two things that God has made for us? Just like he made the skies.
Clue 3: Grass
What is green, grows on the ground outside, and is soft on our feet when we walk on it?
● Verse: Psalm 104: 14. He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for people to cultivate—bringing forth food from the earth.
● In this verse, what does it say that God makes?
● What are your favorite foods? Who do you think makes these foods? Or makes it possible for these foods to be made?
● Let’s thank God for our favorite foods.
Clue 4: Leaves
What is green, grows from a tree, and keeps us shady and cool in the summer?
● Verse: Proverbs 11: 28. “Those who trust in their riches will fall,
but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf.”
● Riches are things that we have in our house that we bought with money or were given. What kind of riches do you both have?
● What would you do if God took away one of those things?
● Let’s pray to God to ask us to not worry as much about those toys or riches but instead love things like time together with our
family, with our Grandpa or Grandma, or Auntie and Uncle.
Clue 5: Animals
What flies in the air and says, “chirp chirp?” A Bird. What hops up and down and has big fluffy ears? A bunny. Yes! The answer to our clue is Animals.
● Verse: Job 12: 7-8, 10:
“But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish in the sea inform you.”
● What do you think all these animals would tell us about God?
● What are your favorite animals? Let’s thank God for them.
Clue 6: Rock
What do we like to throw into the pond that is often hard, brown, and has lots of different shapes and sizes?
● Verse: Psalm 62:2. Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
● Can you each pick a rock and bring it to me? How is God like a rock?
● God is strong, solid, and firm just like a rock? He does not budge or move but instead is always there? God is a solid foundation
and always watches out for us.
Clue 7: Flower
What smells sweet, has petals, lots of colors, and grows from the ground?
● Verse: Luke 12: 25-27. 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life[a]? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? “Consider how the wildflowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.”
● This verse talks about flowers. It says that flowers don’t worry, spin, get upset, frustrated, or afraid. Do we ever get upset
or worried? What is something you are afraid of?
● God tells us that we don’t need to worry. Instead, we can trust that he will take care of us.
● Let’s pray that God gives us peace and doesn’t let us worry about things that make us scared.
Clue 8: Tree
What is strong and big, has a sturdy trunk, and big branches like arms?
● Verse: Psalm 1: 1-3. Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.
● This verse says that people who trust in God, make good decisions, and are nice to other people—they are like trees. Trees have
roots in the ground that keep them safe. They grow fruit, they will have big beautiful green leaves, and then will get all the delicious
● What could you do to be like a strong tree? Can we be nice to our friends?
Clue 9: Water *End at the Water Table *
What is a liquid, runs through our fingers, is cold to drink, and we use for baths and showers?
● Verse: Isaiah 58: 11. The Lord will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
● What happens if we do not water our vegetable garden or flowers? The garden will wither up and die, right?
● God is like the water and we are like the garden. He gives us life. God guides us, he takes care of our needs and will not let us get burnt by the sun and will not let us be thirsty. He will always provide for us and will never let anything happen to us.