Uplifting Family with Bruce von Stein
Who doesn’t love warm soup on a cold winter day? Join Bruce as he shares a healthy and delicious recipe.
Wild Rice Soup
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
1/3 cup uncooked organic wild rice
1 tablespoon organic olive oil
4 cups water
½ cup organic, grass-fed butter
1 medium organic onion, chopped
1 medium organic carrot, chopped
1 small organic sweet potato, chopped
4 ounces organic mushrooms, sliced or chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon rosemary, dried
1 bay leaf
½ cup organic, whole wheat pastry flour
3 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups organic half & half
2 cups kale, chopped, stems removed
salt & pepper to taste
optional: 1 tablespoon organic chicken or vegetable bouillon
1. In a medium saucepan, combine rice, oil, and water.
2. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Don’t drain!
1. In Dutch oven or large pot, melt butter.
2. Sauté onion, carrots, sweet potato, and mushrooms until tender and onions are translucent.
3. Add minced garlic, rosemary, and bay leaf. Sauté for 1-2 more minutes.
4. Stir in flour until blended and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Slowly stir in broth and rice (don’t drain it). Bring to a boil and stir until it starts to thicken (about 2 minutes).
6. Reduce heat and add half & half. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes and rice is tender.
7. Add kale and cook for 5 minutes until it softens.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve and garnish with green onions, if desired.