Chapter 8, Partnership
Philip writes, “Prayer in cooperation with God, a consent that opens the way for grace to work.” He adds, “God’s Spirit whispers rather than shouts, and brings peace not turmoil.” p. 103
1. In this insane world, how do you listen to God’s whispers?
2. What tips can you give to others to help them listen to the Lord?
Archbishop William Temple says, “When I pray, coincidences happen, when I don’t, they don’t.” p. 106
1. What coincidences have you seen in your life?
2. Did you see God in those coincidences?
On pages 106-107, Philip goes through
Stages of Prayer.
1. Do you incorporate these stages in your prayer time already? How well is that going for you? If it’s not going well, what stages do you need to add to your prayer time?
On p. 112, Philip states:
• “God does very little on earth without the likes of you and us.”
• “As partners in God’s work on earth, we insist that God’s will be done while at the same time committing ourselves to whatever that may require of us.”
• “God has called out partners on earth to serve as heralds of a world on the way to healing and redemption.”
We are starting to see ourselves as being very instrumental in doing the Lord’s work. Are you committed to doing this work? In your study of prayer are you seeing God’s need for you to be God’s representative? Do you see the need to communicate with God regarding this representation? Are you willing to take the time to
develop that communication through prayer?